Tom’s focus areas include real estate transactions, including purchase and sale transactions, zoning, commercial real estate development, subdivision and other land use issues. He regularly represents lenders, developers and municipalities with affordable housing and redevelopment projects funded by, among other things, New Markets tax credits, HOME and CDBG funds, LIHTC equity, tax increment, and other project-based subsidies.
Tom also practices in the areas of commercial banking and business transactions (including mergers and acquisitions). He regularly represents lenders, businesses, private equity funds and borrowers with structuring and documenting commercial transactions. Tom also advises financial institutions with commercial loan workouts, foreclosures, bankruptcies and other creditors’ rights issues.
Tom serves as corporate counsel and board secretary for an international joint venture specializing in the manufacture of copper rod and wire.
Tom holds a bachelor degree from Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana, where he graduated with distinction. He graduated from Tulane Law School in New Orleans, Louisiana with the degree of Juris Doctor.
A lifelong athlete, Tom was a qualifier and participant in the 2013 Boston Marathon. While at Indiana University, he was a member of the men’s varsity swimming team 1994–1998, serving as team captain his senior year. He was on the Academic All-Big Ten list 1994–1998.
Legal Assistant: Michelle Bianski
- Indiana, 2001
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Indiana, 2001
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana, 2001
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Allen County Bar Association: Member, Real Estate Section
- AV Preeminent® Rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America®, Lawyer of the Year, Real Estate Law, 2019 and 2023
- Selected for Inclusion in Indiana Super Lawyers, 2018–2022
- Selected for Inclusion in Best Lawyers®, Banking and Finance Law, Commercial Transactions/UCC Law, Land Use and Zoning Law, Real Estate Law, 2017–2023
- Selected for Inclusion in Indiana Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2009–2011 and 2013–2016
- National Philanthropy Day 2017, Outstanding Volunteer Fundraiser, Riverfront Development
- Top Lawyer, Fort Wayne Magazine, 2014–2015
- Forty Under 40 Honoree, Fort Wayne Business Weekly, 2014
- Represented Lender in a $90 million unsecured term and revolving credit transaction to a regional manufacturer of goods.
- Represented Borrower in a $60 million syndicated secured term and revolving credit facility transaction with a national banking association.
- Represented Direct and leverage source Lender in a $39 million downtown development project in Fort Wayne, Indiana, funded in part with federal and state tax credit equity.
- Represented Borrower in a $34 million secured term and revolving credit transaction with a national banking association.
- Represented Lender in a $20 million secured revolving transaction to a national manufacturer of goods.
- Represented Developer of two mixed-use projects in downtown, Fort Wayne, Indiana, representing a combined total investment of in excess of $150 million.
- Represented Developer of a boutique hotel in downtown Fort Wayne, Indiana, in connection with the financing of the project, the acquisition of the project site, and the assemblage of incentives.
- Represented Byron Health Center in connection with the financing of its $36 million assisted living and skilled nursing facility, the acquisition of the project site, and the assemblage of incentives, including New Markets tax credits.
- Represented Municipality with affordable housing project in Southeast Fort Wayne using HOME and NSP funds.
- Represented Municipality with the development of a prominent mixed-use commercial and multi-family affordable residential project.
- Represented Owner/Operator of a slaughterhouse facility in securing a special exception from the City of Decatur's Board of Zoning Appeals.
- Represented Gas Station/Convenient Store Operator in securing a special use permit to conduct a gas station operation in a limited commercial zoning district.
- Represented Board of Commissioners in securing variance and contingent use permit for a communications tower in Adams County, Indiana.
- Represented Developer in rezoning bare ground to limited commercial along major thoroughfare in Allen County, Indiana.
- Represented Owner/Operator in securing a special use permit to conduct a recycling center and transfer station in Whitley County, Indiana.
- Represented Owner/Operator in securing a special use permit to conduct an auto salvage operation in Allen County, Indiana.
- Represented Owner of bare ground along major thoroughfare in Steuben County, Indiana in subdividing land for commercial purposes.
- Represented Owner of 160 acres of farmland in Noble County, Indiana in securing a special exception to conduct a hunting club operation in Noble County, Indiana.
- Represented Developer of a communications tower in securing a special use permit and development standards variance in Allen County, Indiana.
- Turnstone Center for Children and Adults with Disabilities, Inc.: Past Board Chair
- Blessings in a Backpack, Inc.: Member, Board of Directors, 2012–2022
- Pufferbelly Junction, Inc.: Member, Board of Directors, Present
- Fort Wayne Riverfront Advisory Committee: Member, Present
- Northeast Indiana Fund, Inc.: Past Director
- Fort Wayne Community Schools Foundation, Inc.: President, Board of Trustees, Present
- Amani Family Services, Inc.: Past President
- Byron Wellness Systems, Inc.: Member, Board of Directors, Present
- Northeast Indiana Regional Partnership, Vision 2030 Founding Co-Chair
- Community Foundation of Greater Fort Wayne, Inc.: Member, Board of Directors; Board Secretary, 2011–2017
- Fort Wayne Redevelopment Commission: Commissioner, 2013–2016
- Erin's House for Grieving Children, Inc.: Past President and Honorary Director
- Holy Cross Lutheran Church: Past President
- Mustard Seed Furniture Bank of Allen County, Inc.: Past President
- Lutheran Life Villages: Member, Board of Directors, Present
- Legal Alert: "Indiana Changes Recording Requirements (Again)," published February 19, 2021
- Legal Alert: "Indiana Changes Recording Requirements," published June 26, 2020
- Legal Alert: "Indiana Suspends Business Reinstatement Requirements," published May 13, 2020
- Guest Lecturer, Notre Dame Law School
- Guest Panelist, Indiana State Bar Association, Leadership Development Academy